In my sewing classes and online I’m regularly answering questions from eager beginners new to sewing.
The most common questions I get asked include: What sewing machine should I buy? / Should I buy an overlocker (serger)? / Which scissors do you recommend? / What fabric should I use? / Why does my sewing machine keep getting tangled up? / How should I wash my fabric? / Which sewing thread is the best? / Can I buy organic/sustainable fabric for sewing? / How do I measure myself?
As I’ve written about all of these subjects (and more) on this blog I thought it was high time I wrote a post aimed at beginners with links to posts that will hopefully answer all of these questions and more! I decided to choose the top 20 questions I am most often asked. Here you go:
- Which sewing machine should I buy?
- What fabric should I use?
- What other equipment do I need to start sewing?
- Can I buy organic / sustainable fabric for sewing?
- How do I measure myself?
- Do I need to buy an overlocker (serger)?
- Which scissors are best?
- How do I look after my scissors?
- Which sewing thread is the best?
- How can I get neat edges on my seam allowances?
- Should I wash my fabric?
- I can’t thread the bobbin on my sewing machine!
- What are all the settings on my sewing machine for and how do I change them?
- How do I sew stretch fabrics?
- Is there a quick way to unpick?
- How do I transfer pattern markings onto my cut out fabric pieces?
- Why is my fabric stuck in my sewing machine?
- How to sew over bulky bits without getting stuck?
- Is pressing really that important?
- What is tacking and do I really need to do it?
Found this useful? Please consider sharing it online so other beginners can use it too!