Follow Me On
- Currently hanging on my wall to remind me that I need to make stuff as well as read stuff.....I picked up this lovely old book (1st ed 1935, this reprint 1953) when I was at Hardwick Hall last week. £2 from their 2nd hand bookshop!! I love old sewing books and this one has some beautiful illustrations. I'm always on the lookout for old sewing books, do you have any favourites to recommend? 🪡Inspiring contribution to #thepeopleswardrobe from @shelly_sews how gorgeous is her 27 year old jumper?! Here's how she describes it:Another fab day yesterday working with Fashion 1st years @artanddesignshu thinking about longevity, favourite clothes and doing some nice slow hand stitching to let our minds wander....🪡
Tag Archives: sewing patterns for knits
You’re going to have a difficult choice this month people!! Here are 4 beauties, but only one can be this month’s MIY Maker. Which one will you choose?
Here are some more details about them:
- top left – Anne’s beautifully styled pink Fulwood dress
- top right – Lee’s homage to Dennis the Menace and her stripey t-shirt from Beginner’s Guide to Dressmaking
- bottom left – Jenny’s brilliantly simple but effective hack of the Walkley dress to add a contrast yoke
- bottom right – MIY Workshop student Sara’s very first dress (can’t you just tell from that smile!) a one piece denim Fulwood dress.
So, it’s over to you. Leave your choice in the comments, voting will close at midnight GMT tomorrow – Friday 30th September and I’ll announce the winner over the weekend.
Better late than never, my most popular pattern – The Fulwood Dress is now available as a complete making kit.
The kit contains everything you need to make the dress with all the trimmings (collar, pleats, pockets!):
- printed pattern
- over 2.5m of beautiful quality 100% cotton denim in a choice of 2 washes; a pale bleached wash and a deep indigo wash (enough to allow for shrinkage when you pre-wash your fabric)
- and matching thread.
All delivered straight to your door with free P&P (UK only) so you can just get sewing.
There really are so many ways to make this pattern (some of which I’m still trying out myself), see inspiration for how to make the Fulwood on Instagram and check out this link to a recent review. There’s also a great guest post here by Anne Acosta for how to move the pleats to different positions.
What are you waiting for? Get yours now, I only have limited stocks….
Want to hear more about what I’m up to and get subscriber-only resources and offers? Join my newsletter and see what you’ve been missing!
Hands up, I just couldn’t whittle the selection down to 4 this month, so here are my final 6 for you to vote on. Who do you think deserves to be August’s MIY Maker and win their next MIY Collection pattern for free?
- Trisha’s Shift Dress from my first book “Beginner’s Guide to Dressmaking“
- Walkley Vest by Mini Adventures on Instagram
- Naz’s Shift Dress from”Beginner’s Guide to Dressmaking“
Leave your vote in the comments, I will be announcing the winner on Thursday!
In a shock result Maria and Kate were neck and neck in votes on Instagram, my blog and email responses to my newsletter, so they are both MIY Makers for July!!
Well done to Maria and Kate, they can now both choose their next MIY Collection sewing pattern for free.
Have you got what it takes to be August’s MIY Maker? Post your makes using my patterns online and you might make the final 4. Full details of how to enter here.
It’s that time again. OK, so it’s a bit early! That’s because I’m off on holiday on Friday so get your votes in today for who you think deserves to the the July MIY Maker.
What a lovely selection to choose from (clockwise from top left):
- Kate’s Brightside shrug
- Alexandra’s Fulwood top
- Maria’s Wisewood dress
- Lisa’s T-shirt from Beginner’s Guide to Dressmaking.
Leave a comment with your choice and I’ll be announcing the winner tomorrow (Thursday).